Wednesday, August 26, 2009

There are some things that I am fairly certain about in life and I can't wait to share one of them with you. I'm pretty sure that there are certain comments that you should not make to a family with 2 or more children who are all the same sex. Parents who had boy and a girl out of the gate might not completely understand this, but, those of us who's family began with two boys (myself included) or came from families of three girls (me again!) can be extra sensitive on this subject.
'Are you trying for a boy?' is probably not a great question to ask someone who is contemplating a third baby and has all girls. This is especially true if the parents' girls are present. Their therapy bill may one day show up at your door if you ask this. In addition, how exactly you try for a certain sex is beyond me. I've heard of certain positions or certain diets all of which sound a little bogus. Maybe this mom and dad are just trying for another baby and I'm sure that they have a lot of hopes for a possible future child which may or may not include a sex preference.
'I hope that you have a girl' is not the best thing to say to a mom who is pregnant and has even one boy. I heard this so much during my second and third pregnancies that if charged everyone who said it a dollar then I would have had money to pay for my unborn child's college education – at Harvard!
'Oh no!' is also not a good response to a mom who had just told you that she is having her fourth son. I once overheard a conversation between two moms where one mom told another mom that she was having her fourth son any day now. The other mother responded with the good ol' 'oh no!' with a look of pain on her face. Let's just say that that is not nice.
'Are you hoping for a boy?' is also not a great question. If a mom or dad is hoping for another gender than what they already have then let them tell you that. Some dads don't care if they get to play catch with their sons and some moms know that their children can be a lot of fun without the color pink being involved. If you don't believe me then just ask Olivia Manning.
All boy or girl families can be beautiful too! So if you need to say something the next time you see a family with all pigtails remember that a simple 'that's wonderful' will suffice.
So, I'm sure you're wondering what the sex of my third baby is. She is a girl, and as cute as the day is long. But rest assured, I still remember the joy of having just boys.

No comments: